Saturday, April 09, 2011

Sister Act: Gospel Meets 70's Rock


It was drizzling and cold but that has not stopped me from going to Broadway last night. I usually go to TKTS (that ticket office below the ruby stairs in Time Square)for last minute discounted tickets whenever I am stressed out during the week. I go there after work without any particular show on mind. Last time, I saw the preview of Priscilla Queen of the Desert at a fraction of a cost and I never regretted watching the show. Now that I am back on blogging, I want to start the wave of my blog reviews through Sister Act: A Divine Musical Comedy.

Inspired by the Sister Act movie, the show was top-billed by Patina Miller who plays Deloris Van Cartier aka Sis. Mary Clarence, a Philadelphia showgirl who witnessed a crime committed by her goon boyfriend Curtis Jackson (played by Kingsley Leggs). She was given refuge by the Sisters of the Queen of Angels headed by a Mother Superior played by Victoria Clark. The music has been cleverly woven into a mix of all genres ranging from 70's disco Gospel, Gregorian chant, 80's love song, Bee Gees, Hip hop, Rap, Soul, R and B (you name it!). Unbelievable choreography was created to suit the music and glittery wardrobe worn by the cast. I was not expecting the outstanding production design from the wardrobe up to the set. I was expecting nuns in boring black and white habits but the show broke all boundaries by putting glitter in all the scenes. The altar with a giant statue of the Virgin Mary was propped with stained glass art, typical of Catholic churches, changing colors imitating the lights of a 70's disco. The statue itself of the Virgin Mary glittered and revolved in the end, just like a disco ball which narrow-minded critics may decry sacrilege! A surprise ending of course was the appearance of the pope(his back to the audience) emerging in the conductor's position. I was even confused if the guy who played pope was really the orchestra conductor dressed as the pope.

I was tweeting and checking out reviews and other social media in between breaks of the show and even followed @SisterActBway. It was so sweet of Ceasar Samayoa, (the actor who played Pablo, the funny Latino goon, on the heels of Deloris out to lynch her) to thank me for being in the audience last night. I congratulated him and the cast for a job well done.

Sister Act teaches us the values of friendship (being with your friends on whatever weather), charity (helping someone in need), and acceptance (respect of each other whatever the person's orientation). It also reminds us that singing is the highest form of praise. So sing your heart out for God to hear you. I became also interested with the Isaiah 55:12 (spoken by one of the nuns while Deloris went out of the convent) :

"For ye shall go out with joy, and be led forth with peace: the mountains and the hills shall break forth before you into singing, and all the trees of the field shall clap [their] hands."

Sister Act is not even open yet. I only saw a preview. I wonder if the pope will attend its premiere at the Broadway Theater on April 20, Holy Wednesday, for its opening.

No comments: