Wednesday, September 05, 2007

The Magic That is Kapamilya Deal or No Deal


I was writing this just as I finished watching Kampamilya Deal or No Deal where Jerhan Mama-o, a Muslim, won 2 million and became it’s seventh millionaire during tonight’s episode.

I remember hearing my flatmates (my flat has 4 floors) clapping to the beat as Ms. Kris Aquino’s 26K grooving to the game show’s theme while the briefcases are being brought down. The claps were in two sets depending on households if they subscribe to cable television or not (the claps of the cable subscribers including moi were a bit delayed haha).
I remember that time when we were all excited on the premiere of the new show including my ex screaming to the top of our lungs “NO DEAL” while comfortably watching primetime television last year. I remember when my mom, dad, bro and sis can’t seem to understand the mechanics of the show that they ought to watch GMA 7’s Captain Barbell instead. It’s a good thing we had 4 television sets. These were the times when I was stuck in Bulacan, unable to work because of you know what happened, strapped to a rocking chair all day trying my luck on being the next text partner.

I remember texting everyone “NO DEAL” expecting that they’re watching the same show. I didn’t really like Ms. Kris Aquino. I find her too frank and so comfortable with her contestants that sometimes she tends to offend them. And the real spectacle was how revealing her gown went thus far. Good thing she’s out of GKNB. In spite of all of these KDOND has been part of my daily routine especially in the brink of self-pity and feeling of worthlessness.

Back to tonight’s episode, I became inspired of how the contestant became so confident that the 2M is in his briefcase. I wept while jumping when the briefcase was opened knowing he truly deserves it because of his faith. Indeed God is Great (Allah or whatever he is called in 99 names and more). As Ms. Aquino revealed that they are nearing the defunct of the show, I believe in her statement that they continue to inspire the Filipino people as clearly depicted in this episode particularly in bridging the gap between the clash of faiths.

I would like to commend Ms. Aquino, the staff and crew of KDOND, Endemol and ABS-CBN for a job well done. Continue to raise the standards of prime time television especially in this era of game show scam speculations and stiff ratings competition. I would also like to thank you for being with me through the tough times. Bravo!

No comments: