Saturday, April 30, 2011

JPII:Telling our World of His Love


As I write this, Rome is preparing for the beatification of Pope John Paul II.There two instances in my life where I have seen the Pope. My first encounter with JPII was in January 1995 when the World Youth Day was held at the University of Santo Tomas where I was still in my second year of college. I don't see WYD95 as a big deal then. So, I didn't sign up for the activities. I was influenced by my college buds not to sign up, because of the whole week of no classes. As the days pass by and WYD95 is fast approaching, I regret that I did not register. Instead I was with my brother Joey the day before the Pope came at the Santissimo Rosario Parish of UST. I was praying so hard that we could get tickets for the Pope's visit. Lo and behold, miraculously a nun was outside the church giving out tickets, and when it is our turn, it is down to the last two. I never knew who the nun is. I just remembered that I was so overwhelmed when I got my tickets. When JPII arrived in UST we are positioned at the center of the UST's football field. I did not even imagine that the pope mobile would pass by at the center juxtaposing the crowd in the center. And with the JPII's wave and smile at us, I wept. I swear. He has this charm that when he is around you would very much like to repent and feel sorrowful for your sins. When he left Manila, I was crying, while in front of the TV.

I never imagined that I would meet JPII in person. When I went with President Arroyo as a protocol officer in Rome, I was a few feet away from JPII. With that I was more than starstruck. I was shivering from inside. Inside my hotel room, I can't sleep and can't grasp the feeling seeing him up close. He just gave his benidiction. I just wish I could hug him or even kiss his hand but my job did not permit me. Towards the end of our trip in Rome I received a limited edition Papal coin from him of the Great Jubillee.

Before I left for New York, I became a devotee of the Divine Mercy. (See http://jerick28.blogspot.com/2006/10/miracle-of-hope.html ) Knowing that JPII is a staunch promoter of the Divine Mercy, I believe that JPII helped intercede to my prayers that is why I am still alive today. I very much like the little Poland exhibit in the Divine Mercy Shrine in Marilao, Bulacan. If I am in the Philippines I might be there with other devotees making a vigil at the replica of JPII's home.

Today, Divine Mercy Sunday coincidences with Pope John Paul II. Jesus told Sister Faustina that all of God's mercy will poured to everyone who consecrates their prayers to His most Merciful Heart, I know he knows my prayer. I know Blessed John Paul II is praying for us while he tells the world of God's love on his beatification.

Viva il Papa Beato Johannes Paulus II!

No comments: