Sunday, April 24, 2011

The Amazing Mr. Perez

I was in the New York Presbyterian hospital for my blood work before my travel to Chicago last Holy Wednesday, when I saw a familiar face. It was the amazing Mr. Perez.

I only know him by his last name because we were called that way in the hospital. He's been my "neighbor" when I was confined for a long time at the NYPH. We never talk because he cannot speak English and we just bump into each other at he hospital corridors during rehab times. We also got our hearts almost at the same time. I got to talk to his family once and got to compare our developments during check ups and all. He tried to communicate but to no avail because of the language barrier.

But this particular time he was alone while in line alone, no interpreters to speak with. Although i understand a little Spanish it o hard to speak it. He started with "como estas?" i said "muy bien con nuevo corazon" , then just like an armalite he spoke the language of Cervantes con todo rapido. I was lost for words. I began mumbling, "Donde esta su hija?", he replied that she's abroad, referring to his wife, but I was referring to her daughter. Amazingly, we run through our conversation swiftly with silence in between when we are lost for words. I said I am back para muy trabajo, he said "no muchos fuerzas",i said no, "solamente por diez libras" (if he knew what I meant). I said I was going to Chicago para cuatro diaz para semana santa, he said he is going to Santo Domingo para siete meses and he is so happy that the doctor permitted him.

When my electronic gadget vibrated, which means that it's my turn for blood work. He hugged me tight and said in English "take care". I said, "you too and I'm glad you will be back in Santo Domingo". After the blood work, i wept, a lot.

I realized, we are to souls who met at the time of adversity, and yet we met again to tell each other of our unfurnished business. His dream of going back to Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic pushed him to fight on and continue life. My ardent childhood dream of seeing Chicago was delayed because just before my Ninang got me a ticket 2 years ago from JFK-ORD I succumbed to a heart attack. I believe everyone has an unfinished business that needs to be done as we go through our new lives. And Mr. Perez and I graduated with flying colors.

I'm doing this blog on the plane back to the east coast while thinking what Mr. Perez is doing now. He must be sipping pineapple cocktails or playing golf in the sun and sand of Santo Domingo.

No comments: