Sunday, April 17, 2011

Miguel Syjuco is no Stieg Larsson

After a very long time, I have already finished "Ilustrado" by Miguel Syjuco, one of NY Times' notable book of the year and winner of the Carlos Palanca and Man Asian Literary Prizes. I saw his book last year at the Barnes and Noble 5th Avenue window and I never imagined that it's written by a Filipino. Then came the book reading / discussion event at the Philippine Consulate and bought the book and let him sign it. While they are discussing the book, I got a gist of what is all about and commented that Syjuco is the Philippines' Stieg Larsson.Syjuco even wrote it in my copy.

But upon reading Syjuco's book, I realized I'm so wrong. Though both their books tackle the ills of their respective countries' society ( Philippines and Sweden)and both touched both countries' history (though Syjuco's is so extensive and totally fictional) the differences lie in it's story telling. Stieg Larsson uses a style that even a typical New Yorker would understand and enjoy while on his way to work on a subway. Ilustrado is intricately woven and even sometimes confusing because of the frequent change of topic in the narrative.

Both used stories about deaths in the main characters. But Syjuco played on the idea of a fictional Philippine history sparked by public opinion and sensationalism of the media.

Both works should be read. I only wrote this to retract my statement on Ilustrado being compared to Stieg Larsson's "Millenium" series. Tomorrow, I'll start reading the third book "The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest" to finish off the "Millenium". I am so behind my reading. Blame it on twitter, pod casts and television.

No comments: