Thursday, April 28, 2011

My Midwest Trip: Fulfillment of a Dream, Mission Accomplished

My trip to Chicago and Indiana was very important to me. It represents the fulfillment of a promise that I told myself years ago even before I "died".
My Ninang, who is really my aunt, Florida dela Torre, sends me toys from that city when I was young. Holding that ATARI console in hands, I wonder how Chicago looks like and how it is living there. Every time I see an airplane, I always wave my hand and shouts "Ninang! Ninang! Or Tita Paning! Tita Paning!" and I would continue playing after that. I promise myself with my cousin Chris that someday we will conquer Chicago and watch a Bulls game. The first time I saw my Ninang was when I graduated in elementary. She left the Philippines when I was 4 years old. In spite of the distance, I regard her as my second mom. We have long talks over the phone and we often exchange correspondence. The last time we were in the Philippines was when she celebrated her surprise 60th birthday. A year after that I left for NY.
When I came here in the US, she is so excited to buy me a ticket for the holy week break in 2009. She almost did but decided to postpone my trip because I still yet to finish my house hunting. That Easter Sunday. I succumbed to a heart attack. When I told Ninang I am coming his year she can't help but reminisce what happ
ened two years ago. This year we have to finish the unfinished business.

I arrived at O'Hare with Ninang having a bunch of pink flowers in her ha
nds. I literally grabbed them from he
r without even asking if they are mine. I hugg
ed her and said "Finally!". I also met my Ninong Manny (my second time)
and got to bond with him at the Navy Pier. I also met my Ninong's family from Ecuador. I really had a fun time at the Midwest where Tita
Paning of South Chicago, Indiana hosted us for our four day holiday and even let us stay in a hotel room. my cousins Mia, Paul, Jonas and Joan were so hospitable that I miss them and their kids.
I have sent my thank you cards to them last Monday. Indeed my visit was a fulfillment of a dream.

No comments: