Monday, May 09, 2011

The Art Heaven that is Chicago

What I have noticed during my Chicago trip is the immense amount of public interactive and historical art placed around the city. One cannot help but marvel at the works of art in form of architecture, fountains and sculptures. Most of this public artworks were posted at my instagram account. My first stop is the Art Institute of Chicago which houses a considerable amount of American art treasures. Too bad I don't have that much time to explore it. It is nice to know that one of the painting in my favorite show Desperate Housewives is in the Institute (now it is my Ipad screen saver). Connecting the art institute to the Great Lawn of the Millenium Park is the Nichols Bridgeway. This structural wonder got an award of merit at the 2009 Structural Design Awards for its design work. At the Millenium Park the centerpiece is the "Cloud Gate" a three story level structure popularly called "The Bean" because of its legume shape. The structure is also popular for photography because it distorts your impression on the mirrors. I tried to "defy gravity" (see http://jerick28.blogspot.com/2011/03/defying-gravity.html ) but my attempt failed. My dad had fun on the mirrors though. Another interactive public art that caught my eye is the "Crown Fountain". It is composed of two structures made of glass bricks where water flows in a black granite reflecting pool which you can play on a summer day. The glass bricks have LED's that displays videos of faces of Chicagoans famous and not. Architecture is at its best in Chicago, buildings that caught my eye is the Willis Tower, the Water Tower and the John Hancock Tower. If you are an art lover be sure to visit Chicago, it w
ill al be worth it.

1 comment:

Anthony Andres said...

excuse me po...just dropping by