Monday, September 25, 2006

Scalpel- Lash Curler Metaphor




Last weekend, I have lived in seclusion once again to do marathons of the Grey's Anatony Season 1 and 2. I have finished LOST and i'm still lost. I screamed at every episode that my flatmates often knock at my windows wondering what's happening. LOST is so eerie that I don't recommend watching it alone for fear of losing your mind. I lent my dvd copies to my cousins Michelle and Jason and told me they were sleeping at wee hours in the morning. You just can't stop watching until your questions are answered. We are gearing up for season 3 which we plan to watch weekly over the local UHF channel. I could also feel that the Desperate Housewives Season 2 being shown on Studio 23 is on its last two episodes. I heard they will start Season 3 in November at ABC (US).
Just as I thought I am through with hospital drama, here comes Grey's Anatomy which is a story about 5 surgery interns making a mark at Seattle Grace Hospital. I have learned the levels of doctors in an American hospital namely: the chief, the attending, the fellow and the lowly interns. Terms such as scrubs, shrink, stat and even the "call " ("time of death is 1257H") makes the series very interesting to the viewers. I especially like the character of Dr. Miranda Bailey, an African-American fellow who is often referred to as the Nazi because of her strict stewardship of the five interns. Dr. Izzie, the blonde intern reminds me of "Phoebe" and Dr. George O'Malley reminds me of "Joey" of friends. The series' central character Dr. Meredith Grey reminds me of the lovestruck character of Bridget Jones. I pity her during the entire duration of the series. But the character I like most is Dr. Derek Shepherd's wife, who he refered to as Satan and refered to by Dr. Grey as "the woman as pretty as Isabella Rosselini". Given the chance to know her, I'll ask her to marry me!
Grey's Anatomy is a mix of the wit of "Ally Mcbeal", the comedy of "Friends", the secrets of "Desperate Housewives" and the drama of "E.R.". I usually freak out at the sight of blood and surgical procedures but in this series, it became bearable (I even eat my lunch while watching it). The oddities, drama, excitement of hospital scenes are very interesting that you'll never stop watching. The creativity of how Shonda Rimes came up with mixing romance and hospital humor in a series is unimaginable (lash curler-scalpel/ dextrose-vodka metaphor). I just can't get enough of it. Maybe I should call a shrink, I'm going gaga over these series.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I guess you really caught my couch potato bug. Hehe.