Saturday, August 12, 2006

Can't Get Enough of Rent








This morning before going through my usual routine of reading the newspapers and books, I watched some scenes from Rent again (yeah! call me a Rent Addict). It took seven plays of the first scene before I got enough of it... (yeah I am a rent addict) For those who doesn't know the lyrics of Seasons of Love (the first act/scene) here it is:


ALL: Five hundred twenty-five thousand Six hundred minutes,
Five hundred twenty-five thousandMoments so dear.
Five hundred twenty-five thousandSix hundred minutes.
How do you measure, measure a year?
In daylights, in sunsets, in midnights
In cups of coffee
In inches, in miles, in laughter, in strife.
In five hundred twenty-five thousand Six hundred minutes
How do you measure A year in the life?
How about love? How about love? How about love?
Measure in love
Seasons of love.
Seasons of love

JOANNE:Five hundred twenty-five thousand Six hundred minutes!
Five hundred twenty-five thousand Journeys to plan.
Five hundred twenty-five thousand Six hundred minutes
How do you measure the life Of a woman or a man?

COLLINS: In truths that she learned,Or in times that he cried.
In bridges he burned,Or the way that she died.
ALLIt's time now to sing out, Tho' the story never ends
Let's celebrate Remember a year in the life of friends

Remember the love! Remember the love! Seasons of love!

JOANNE: Oh you got to got to
Remember the love! remember the love,
You Measure in love know that love is a gift from up above
Seasons of love. Share love, give love spread love
Measure measure you life in love


OOOpppss.. i have wrong lyrics pala... I just checked the real lyrics now (o yeah a Rent addict commits blunders)

Anyway, I got over the first scene and became interested in the "Tango Maureen" scene. It's about a conversation of Mark and Joanne over their apple of their eyes, Maureen. Mark is Maureen's boyfriend who was traded over Joanne, a lesbian lawyer. Parts of their conversation is as follows:

JOANNE: As a matter of fact-

MARK: Honey, I know this act
It's called the "Tango Maureen"
The Tango MaureenI t's a dark, dizzy merry-go-round
As she keeps you dangling

JOANNE: You're wrong

MARK: You're heart she is mangling

JOANNE: It's different with me

MARK: And you toss and you turn'
Cause her cold eyes can burn
Yet you yearn and you churn and rebound

JOANNE:I think I know what you mean

BOTH: The Tango Maureen!

MARK: Has she ever pouted her lips
And called you "Pookie"?

JOANNE: Never

MARK: Have you ever doubted a kiss or two?

JOANNEThis is spooky
Did you swoon when She walked through the door?

MARK: Every time - so be cautious

JOANNE: Did she moon over other boys - ?

MARK: More than moon

JOANNE: I'm getting nauseous

MARK: Where'd you learn to tango?

JOANNE: With the French Ambassador's daughter in her dorm room at Miss Porter's.
And you?

MARK: With Nanetter Himmelfarb The Rabbi's daughter at the Scarsdale Jewish Community Center
It's hard to do this backwards

JOANNE: You should try it in heels!
She cheated

MARK:She cheated

JOANNE: Maureen cheated

MARK: Fuckin' cheated

JOANNE: I'm defeated, I should give up right now

MARK: Gotta look on the bright side
With all of your might

JOANNE: I'd fall for her still anyhow

BOTH: When you're dancing her dance
You don't stand a chance
Her grip of romance makes you fall

It's funny when we think how would our exes or a current and an ex would react of what they both think of you. Just like what happened to me yesterday and today... (ooopss, end of story).
Rent talks about life, love, survival and tragedy. It reminds us that everyday should be lived in La Vie Boheme but that should be coupled with our care for others. As the song "Will I" goes:

Will I lose my dignity? Will someone care?Will I wake tomorrow from this nightmare?

And if ever in the game of life, someone put us down let us remember Angel's (the homosexual) words in the song, Today 4 U:

Today for you - tomorrow for me
Today for you - tomorrow for me,
I said Today for you - tomorrow for me
Today for you - tomorrow ...Whoa, ohhhhh for me!!!

Hahahaha.. Enjoy RENT, people.. I'm sure there'll be a third helping to this series

No comments: