Thursday, September 20, 2007

Cuisine Française

I'm back at my french class and our lesson last Monday was aliments francais (French food) What I don't like about the French language is that everything has a gender (yes, as in everything, as in le poulet (chicken) is masculine, la salade (salad) is feminine, and you can't guess the gender as in Espanol, you have to consult your good old dictionnaire). There is even a French bureau which primary responsiblity is to assign if a word/object is indeed a male or female ( the latest being the computer (l'ordinateur as masculine). The class was divided into to groups and we were tasked to do either a diet menu, a vegetarian menu or a gourmet menu. Being a protocol officer, I took advantage of this "kaartehan" and came up with this invention:

Menu pour homme qui fait regime pour maigrir

(Menu for a person who wants to lose weight)

  • Entree Salade de Radis avec Vinaigrette d'Olive (Radish Salad With Olive Vinaigrette)
  • Soupe Consomme a L'oignon (Onion Consomme)
  • Plat Principal (Main Course) Thon Grillade avec Riz Rouge et Tofu (Grilled Tuna with Red Rice and Tofu, sosyal!)
  • Fromage (Cheese) Yaourt aux Kiwis (Yoghurt with Kiwis, my initial reaction was why in the world would a yoghurt based dish be included here, the French are so weird!)
  • Dessert Compote De Banane sans Sucre (Boiled Bananas in Sugar-free sauce, in Tagalog: minatamis na saba pero wag gagamit na asukal yun lang yun!)

I don't know if I'll enjoy such treat but we pulled it off. The French are really soooo weird!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bonjour, pourquoi voulez-vous me connaître davantage ? Vous allez être très bon au Français. Merci du menu. Ok, I'm not really French