Sunday, February 18, 2007

A Eulogy for a Patriarch



















"Ilang ulit mo nang itinatanong sa akin, kung haggang saan, hanggaang saan hanggang kailan, ang aking pagmamahal...."



You are simply undescribable,
I really can't imagine
How you managed to put all of us beneath your wings
after Inang and Tatang left us

"Hanggang may himig pa akong naririnig, dito sa ating daigdig, Hanggang may musika akong tinataglay, kita'y iniibig...."

You are incorruptible
You served your country well Even beyond your call of duty
You were most loved by your peers
Caring even to the lowliest personnel

"Giliw wag mo sanang isiping ikaw ay aking lilisanin, di ko magagawang lumayo sa yo piling...."

You were a disciplinarian
We may not understand you at times
Even thought you are overly protecting us
Now we understand

"At nais kong malaman mo, kung gano kita kamahal..."


You were the decision maker
In times of doubt, my Mom always tell me
to consult you, for you know best
You were instrumental in choosing my career
And I never regret it.

"Hanggang ang diwa ko, tanging sa yo laan, mamahalin kailanman. Hanggang pag-ibig ko'y hanggang walang hanggan, tanging ikaw lamang..."

You were a crazy person
Humor and laughter
fills the air when you're around
You saw things on their brighter side
And always reminded us to take it easy.

You were our strength
You were better than any
crisis management expert
You can deal with any problem and solve it
I reminisce that time, on my hospital bed
You told me "Go back to work....
.... I want you there"

You never judged anyone
You accepted us as we are
Although at times we kept things under your watch
In the end you'll know it
And you'll understand.

You are a great grandfather
The sight of children brings
twinkle in your eyes
You loved Bong and Louie so much
That it hurts when I remember

You were grateful to everyone
I remembered the look in your eyes last Christmas
You were so thankful of the card, I gave you
Never did I thought
That would be the last

You were so brave
Fighting for your dear life
Fighting for all of us
You never left us till the end
Even now that you're gone

You were a loving father
Father to all of us
I know you are watching upon us up there, proud of what you did
I believe you fulfilled your mission
Pero, pano na kami ngayon?

"Hanggang may puso akong maruong magmahal, na ang sinisigaw ay lagi nang ikaw, hanggang saan? hanggang kailan? hanggang kailan kita mahal? Hanggang ang buhay ko'y kunin ng Maykapal...."

Daddy Edgar, Thanks for everything
Mahal na mahal ka namin! We will miss you.
Hanggang sa muling pagkikita....

In Memory of
Edgardo B. Dela Torre (Oct 2, 1954 - Feb 2 2007)
Residencia Florencia's Patriarch
Engineer, Father, Friend
and now our Guiding Star in heaven

(photo credits courtesy of Mr. Francis Arvy Olarte, for more: see residencia florencia account / residencia_florencia@yahoo.com)

No comments: